Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Quests for Tanks: Shiny New Weapons

There's still a lot of work to do over in Northrend, but I did come across something that I thought I should point out to my fellow tanks out there. Once you've had some time to get a bit settled in over in Northrend and have picked up a few new tricks (i.e. you just hit 74), I recommend you take a quick break from whatever you're working on, grab a buddy, and head over to Light's Breach in Zul'Drak. I know the temptation to stay and finish an area before moving on is strong, but just trust me on this. Light's Breach isn't that deep into Zul'Drak (I believe the wind rider master over in Camp Oneqwah will even send you there for free - don't know about Alliance, sorry) and this will only take about five minutes.

Once you're there, look for a wanted poster with the quest Wanted: Ragemane's Flipper. Apparently the local wolvar tribe had a pet lion seal that went feral after a run-in with some trolls, so you need to go over and put him down. As you can see from the picture, the lake where Ragemane is at is just to the southeast of Light's Breach. Once you're there, it'll be an easy fight. I could almost solo him at 75, so you won't have any issues with one or two friends backing you up. So far five minute's work, you've got a new flight path, some experience, and most important of all, shiny new tanking weapons.

If you're like me, you probably came into Northrend using the same King's Defender you've had for over a year now. It's a good weapon, but it does begin to show its age. From what I've been able to find, this is the first tanking weapon upgrade most of us are going to be able to find in Northrend. You even get a choice in what to pick up (unless you're a bear, then you're stuck with the kitty-type staff but I think even that'll be an upgrade). You've got the slow axe with defense and expertise, the fast mace with defense and dodge, or the fast sword with dodge and parry. I ended up taking the axe - I prefer fast weapons, but I wanted defense and expertise more than flat avoidance (not really an issue until we're ready to try some tougher dungeons). It's a personal preference though, so pick whichever one suits your needs.

No comments: