Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Classic Raider (just a couple years behind)

I'll continue with introduction-type stuff soon, but this happened recently so I figured it would help break up the dry "this is what we're about" kind of stuff. A few weeks ago when everyone got their new toys and all of the stuff our trainers taught us was completely changed, we also started getting these Achievement things. They serve no combat purpose whatsoever, but man did everybody want them and I'm no exception. There were achievements for all of the people who like butting heads with the Alliance, ones for people like me who do a lot of trade skill work, and even some for dungeons (both new and old). In particular, there was a set of achievements for all of the old 20- and 40-man dungeons that people used to run before the Dark Portal opened and we found out that the green garbage the natives dropped was better than the stuff Ragnaros was holding onto down in his house. When the achievements came out, we all got credit for some of the stuff we did before. In this case, I got credit from working with my old raiding guild for everything but Zul'Gurub (apparently a couple dozen times isn't enough if you don't take his heart as a souvenir) and the Temple of Ahn'Qiraj.

I'll be blunt: I hate the Temple of Ahn'Qiraj. I hated it back when we were taking a trip there every week, and I'm still not too fond of the place now. Part of it's because there was really only decent loot there if you were a DPS-type person (I'm a tank though so I'm a bit biased for "decent loot"), partly because I was sick of fighting bugs and that's pretty much all that's there, but there was one reason above all others that I didn't like going there: it just wasn't fun to tank. That's a long discussion though, so I'll save that for another day and get back on topic.

So I'm sitting in Shattrath looking for more achievements to work on when I get a message from an old druid buddy of mine. His guild decided they were gonna go back to the Temple to play with their new toys and he asked if I wanted to come along. I was still testing out some of my new stuff and decided I could use more practice, so I agreed. I was curious though - yeah, we had new skills, better gear, and a lot more experience, but a lot of these guys had never seen the Temple before. Just how much repair money is this achievement going to cost me?

I joined the group right before they went in for the first optional boss, Viscidus. Easy enough, though he did sit at 1% or so for a while before people remembered that you have to shatter him to win. Next up was Princess Huhuran - I'll admit it was satisfying to watch her explode as fast as she did. Part of that might just be me being vindictive from when I used to fight her and my guild's plan of attack was "Operation: Let the First Tank Die". Believe it or not, the first tank had issues with this course of action.

The Twin Emperors were next on the list. My old guild never did get past these guys; 30% or so was as close as we got before we went to Naxxramas and the guild went kaboom. The Emps went down just fine, but the whole time I'm looking at this and going, "Man... we would've been dead like 10 minutes ago if this was the old days." I think they healed each other to full four or five times before the fight was over. I started helping the MT move the melee guy away from the caster when they teleported after a while, since it seemed like there wasn't really anybody holding the caster in place so he was doing his own thing.

After that was Ouro and the trash on the way to C'Thun. Ouro was nothing special, but the trash was... interesting. I don't think fear-chaining and fighting half of the room in one pull is the normal way to do that fight, but I suppose it worked. Once that was out of the way, all that was left was the big eyeball himself, C'Thun.

I'd never seen C'Thun before, but I'd done a little bit of reading beforehand, just so I could do my job. Seemed like a simple enough fight - don't clump up, avoid the red beam, hit the big thing in the middle when you're outside, stab whatever's inside if you're swallowed. First charge: ZAP! All but like three of four people got chained from one beam in the door. Okay, take two. After everybody patches up, my druid friend and I decided we were gonna hang back a bit just to be safe. Success! We got in position and started to attack, while desperately trying to avoid standing next to people for the beams. Apparently someone must've passed around a note telling the other melee people that I had candy or booze though, because a handful of rogues kept following me. Once one of them got beamed, it was over and I got to stare at the floor for the remainder of the fight. Not quite how I wanted to get that achievement, but I'll take my victories where I can get them. I was now a Classic Raider, but more importantly, I never have to go play with those bugs ever again.

No comments: