Thursday, September 15, 2011

Races of Tyria: The Spirited Norn

Do you have to use terrible puns for the bulk of your post titles?

Yep, got a pun quota and we don't post often enough to use witty ones, so puns it is. Anyways we're here to talk about another race and Solagar is here to present his choice for the trip to Tyria. So what race are you leaning towards, Sol?

Well, since I don't have a direct analog for a return to my old Blood Elf state, I've been looking through the options available. Out of the five you've shown me, I believe the Norn to be the optimal race for my travels there as a Guardian.

I'm still going Charr, but pictures like this made the choice kinda hard

Really? A Norn?

I take it you disapprove?

Not so much disapprove. It's more that the race isn't really, well, you.

Why would you say that? They're an honorable race of warriors and the guardian seems like a perfect fit for them.

For the class, yes. For you, not really. You are correct that they're an honorable race, but did you read any beyond that? Let's take a look at that first paragraph: "Boistrous, strong-willed, and passionate". I'll give you the second one. The third one's a bit of a stretch, but I suppose you can be passionate about your work at times. I'm gonna have to call you out on the boistrous part though. You're not exactly the rowdy party type, Sol.

You don't know that for certain. I had my moments during Blood Knight training back in Silvermoon and I've participated in events the guilds I've worked for put on.

Participating doesn't mean showing up, grabbing food, and leaving before someone makes you be social.

Fine, but the other parts of that paragraph work for me. "Steadfast allies and implacable foes" - that seems perfect for me.

You're right, there are parts that fit you better. It says right here they're "quick to anger, even quicker to smile, and treat each new day as a personal challenge". Dunno about the smiling part, but the rest of that seems spot on.

Very funny. Let's look further down, shall we? How about the connection to the spirits they have? I may not have the shapeshifting part, but being connected to the world and spirits? That I have plenty of experience with.

Video's kinda old, but it's worth it to see the story bits at the end

I'm not sure a stolen, then freely given, connection to the Light really counts there, but I suppose if we look at the fact that you've trained some with the Sunwalkers, it could loosely count. Before you say it, your old connection to arcane magic doesn't count; it was a side-effect of your race's magic addiction. Besides you only ever used the stupid thing as an interrupt anyways.

So are you telling me to choose another race or not?

Nah, there's nothing wrong with your choice. I'm just giving you a hard time. Personally I think it'll be good for you to spend some time with the Norn. Besides giving you a good supply of war stories to pass along, they might help you loosen up a bit. You've always been too high strung, so maybe being around a bunch of impulsive shapeshifters will fix that. Plus you're certain to pick up some new combat maneuvers from working with them to share with the rest of us.

Ah. Well, thank you for being supportive. For a second there I thought you were trying to talk me out of this.

Of course not! Where else am I gonna find someone to get me tickets to Keg Brawl games?

...

No comments: